Wiltshire FA Sunday League Cup Results – Preliminary Round

The long wait is finally over, the first week of the 2021/22 season saw most of the CDSFL teams participate in the Preliminary Round of the Wiltshire FA Sunday Cup and it threw up a plethora of goals as well as a couple of shocks.

Beeches FC 1 – 5 The British Lion FC

Lion Shock Last Season Cup Finalists

Arguably the biggest shock of the day occurred at The Beeches in Shaw as last season’s beaten Gooding Accounts sponsored Subsidiary Cup finalists, Beeches FC were comfortably beaten by The British Lion of Division 3.

The first half was somewhat of a tight affair and the score at the interval was 2-1 to The British Lion. Beeches goal machine Steve Ball was on target once again with Dean Tacuso and Angus Webster scoring for British Lion.

The second half turned into a little bit of a one sided affair as a Glyn Rowles brace and a goal for Liam Mortimer meant the third division side progress to the first round proper.

Old Road FC 2 – 5 FC Devizes United

United Too Much For Old Road

This match went as predicted with Devizes United running out 5-2 winners against a spirited Old Road side.

An entertaining first half saw Devizes go in with a 2-1 lead thanks to goals from Jay Walters and a long range effort from Harrison Sartin. Sam van Weenan with the reply for Old Road

The second half saw a further five goals with three from Devizes through another Sartin effort from out side the box followed by goals from Jack Coward and another from Walters.

Matt Sallows scored Old Road’s second of the day.

Pack Horse FC 13 – 0 Dyson Institute FC

Pack Horse Gallop Into The Next Round

Pack Horse FC showed their ruthless side as they put league newcomers Dyson Institute to the sword in this convincing victory.

Pack Horse raced into a half time lead of 7 with no reply and by the time the full time whistle was sounded another 6 had been added for the astounding victory.

There were two hattrick heroes in Tyler Smith(4) and Ollie Dean(3). Adam Shipman and Josh Madle scored 2 apiece and Ed McCormack and Josh Legg scored 1 each to round off the scoring.

Sutton Benger FC 1 – 5 Royal Oak FC

5 Star Oak End Benger’s Interest In Wiltshire Sunday Cup

The all Division 1 clash took place at Northbrook and the final result ended in a 5-1 win for Richard Tandy’s Royal Oak side against Sutton Benger.

It was predicted that this would be a tight affair and despite what the score line would suggest, this would be the case for the majority of the match and both sides showed promise in a close first half, without creating any clear cut opportunities and most of the early pressure was soaked up by a strong defensive performance by the Royal Oak backline.

The closest either side came to a goal was when Josh Duckett struck the angle from a free kick from what looked like a harsh handball call on Joe Merriman. Kai Flack’s side then suffered a huge blow when Merriman was forced off with a hamstring injury shortly after.

It was another set piece that did finally break the deadlock before the interval, Matt Russell flew in at the near post to open the scoring with a diving header from a Jed Kirkwood corner for a 1-0 half time lead.

Sutton Benger were back in the game instantly from the second half kick off as Matt Bartlett took advantage of some indecision in the Oak backline and slotted home in the empty net from just outside the box.

Richard Tandy made some changes including bringing himself on and it was Tandy himself who pounced on a mishit clearance to give his Oak side the lead once again.

It remained a close contest for much of the second half until a contentious penalty decision put the game to bed for Oak. Tandy was again involved and went down and a light-hearted appeal from one or two of his teammates was enough for the referee to point to the spot. Jake Duckett did the honours of putting the oak 3-1 ahead in what would ultimately be the killer blow in the tie for Benger.

Tricky play from Cameron Lee ended with a smart left footed effort that put the Oak three to the good and debutant Tom North sealed the victory after good play from Tandy and Lee, Tandy crossed the ball in for North to get his name on the scoresheet for the fifth and final goal.

Spires Athletic FC 3 – 2 Biddestone FC

Spires Aspire To Beat Team Higher

An exciting match took place at Beversbrook and it was Division 3 side Spires Athletic who caused another shock in the Wiltshire Sunday cup winning a thriller against first division Biddestone 3-2.

Spires opened the scoring when Daniel Leany took aim from 25 yards out and despite the goalkeeper getting his foot to it, the ball hit the bottom right hand corner.

Biddestone equalised shortly after when they handed a penalty much to the disappointment of the Spires players. Henry Garroway stepped up to tuck the spot kick away and that was how it stayed until the end of the half.

Robert Sandiford tapped in a left hand cross to re-establish Spires’ lead in the second half only to be pegged back once more when Joe Filby’s cross come shot deceived everyone to end up in the back of the net for 2-2.

The fifth and final goal came when Dylan Hatt, who made everything tick for Spires throughout the match, managed to get himself between 2 defenders and slotted home what turned out to be the winning goal.

Staverton Rangers (Sunday) FC 3 – 1 Kingfisher FC

Bare Staverton Inspired To Victory

Staverton Rangers (Sunday) FC took on Kingfisher at the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Field and it was third division Staverton who progress to the next round thanks to a 3-1 victory.

What looked like quite the task to begin with was made worse when both of Staverton’s available substitutes pulled up in the warm up meaning only Lance Davis was left with the bare 11 to work with and hoping on no further injuries.

As is often the case though this seemed to inspire his side and the hosts took the game to Kingfisher who struggled to deal with Staverton’s hard working midfield, in particular Ricky Montacute and it was his drifted cross which was headed home by arguably the smallest man on the pitch, Jesse Wyness with 25 minutes on the clock.

Lance Davis then himself had a goal chalked off for offside 5 minutes later but it was his run and cross that found Jesse Wyness to cooley slot home his second. 

Despite going in at halftime 2-0 down, Kingfisher played their way back into the game and Ed Baldwin scored after 75 minutes following a mistake at the back but the impressive Montacute went on a mazy run and found Kiran Morris with a cross who finished with the goal at his peril to put the game back beyond doubt for Staverton and ensure progression into the next round.