Division 3 Results – Week 1

The long wait is finally over, the first week of the 2021/22 season is finally upon us and although a number of the Shoestrings-Chargrill sponsored Chippenham Sunday League clubs were in Wiltshire FA Sunday League Cup action, there were 2 matches that took place in Division 3.

Audley FC 10 – 1 Misfits FC

Audley Bring The Fire In Division 3 Clash

Although they had never met in the league previously the fixture between Division Three newcomers Audley FC and Misfits FC had generated a lot of interest ahead of this opening day showdown at Leafy Lane.

With a number of Audley players lining up against their former teammates, temperatures ahead on the game had reached boiling point, but once kick-off time arrived, both clubs were on their best behaviour and the contest went off without any incidents, Audley eventually finding their scoring boots in the second period to run out 10-1 victors.

Audley were on the front foot from the very first minute and despite dominating play, a combination of missed chances and excellent goalkeeping from Graham Applegate kept the score goalless for the opening 23 minutes.

The Audley pressure final paid off on 24 minutes when Jordan Murphy drove home a brilliant opener for Jordan Tarrant’s side.  There joy was short live as two minutes later Audley keeper Josh Beard failed to deal with a Nathan Thomas free kick and the score was level again.

Sam Myles regained the lead for Audley on 37 minutes and just as the first half was drawing to a close, Gareth Jones was on hand to make it 3-1 and give the hosts an interval advantage their dominance deserved.

The second period was just 7 minutes old when Audley stretched their lead even further as Harry Myles made it 4-1.  Quick-fire goals in the space of a couple of minutes, a second from Jones and a 30 yard screamer into the top corner from Charlie Austin took the score to 6-1.  

With 30 minutes remaining and as Misfits were running on empty it seemed it would be a case of how many more Audley would score, chances came and went before Jones fired home his third of the morning on 68 minutes and, 3 more goals in the final 10 minutes sealed an opening day victory for home team, Jones took his personal tally for the game to five with a couple more and at the second time of asking Connor Laidlaw finally found the net to make up the double figures. 

Warminster Athletic 5 – 5 Westbury Celtic

Spoils Shared In The Match Of The Day At St. Georges

The game of the day took place at St. Georges playing field as Warminster Athletic took on Westbury Celtic which ended in a 5-5 draw.

Stuart Green will be thinking that it should have been so much more as they raced into 4-1 lead by the time the half time whistle had sounded.

Westbury Celtic produced one of the biggest of comebacks in recent times as they mirrored their opponents in the second half with a 4-1 mini victory of their own as the tie ended 5-5.

Ben Bullis took the match ball home for Warminster as well as a brace scored by Taylor Cuff whilst in return for Westbury another match ball was claimed by Chris Steel with Jake Kingston and Harrison Trevor completing the second half comeback.