Division 1 Results – Week 2

Only 2 fixtures took place in the Shoestring-Chargrill sponsored Chippenham & District Sunday League Division 1. Here are the results.

Lavis FC 3-2 Sporting Box FC

Referee Dominic Mortimer Tosses The Coin With Lavis Captain Darren Jones (Green) and Sporting Box Captain Sam Hill (Blue)

Lavis Given A Thorough Test By Sporting Box

Lavis FC were given a tough match at Lye Field and they will be happy with their mornings work after holding on for a 3-2 victory over Sporting Box.

The game started rather cagey with Lavis looking the more likely in the early stages and starting to take control and they missed a few chances to take advantage of the early pressure they were applying, most notably through Francois Allen and a Matty Hall header which rattled the crossbar from a corner.

Jack Booth Of Lavis (Green) Keeps The Ball Away From James Angell Of Sporting Box (Blue)

Joe Faulkner in the Sporting goal made some smart saves to keep the score at 0-0 but the first half dis see the opening goal through Jack Booth.

There was also a fairly long stoppage in the first half as a clash of heads results in Levi Wood suffering a broken nose.

The second goal did not come until the second half when Allen finally got the goal his chances deserved.

Sporting Box did respond though and they were back in the game at 2-1 when Zilwood Stead reduced the arrears.

Dontae Swaby-Depass Of Sporting Box (Blue) Battles For Possession With Francois Allen Of Lavis (Green)

DJ Wheeler’s second booking and subsequent marching orders gave Sporting Box real belief they would be able to get something out the game but as they pressed for the equaliser they were hit with sucker punch as Ryan Underwood scored the third which ultimately proved the winner.

Box did get their second goal, scored from the spot scored by Nathan Baldwin which meant that we were treated to a grandstand finish but Lavis held on to take all 3 points.

Jay Painter (Blue) Of Sporting Box & Darren Jones (Green) Contest For A Header With Simon Parfitt Of Lavis Watching On

Pack Horse FC H-W Sutton Benger FC

Pack Horse gained their first 3 points of the season but not in the way they would of hoped as Sutton Benger were unable to field a team due to having insufficient players

Royal Oak FC 4-1 Biddestone FC

Oak Stand Tall

Royal Oak carried on their fine start to the season as they followed up their opening day Wiltshire Sunday Cup win with their first in the league against Biddestone FC.

A tight affair between Royal Oak and it was Biddestone who took the lead midway through the half, Joe Filby pouncing on defensive mistake and slotting home with a calm finish.

The Oak manager Richard Tandy made changes before the half was out, including bringing himself on and the results were almost instant as some good pressing from the front three resulted in Cameron Lee finishing for 1-1 at half time. 

In the second period, Oak started to put their stamp on the game, Cameron Lee crossed into Rich Tandy who put the Oak ahead and they were soon two to the good, when more good good team build up play resulted in a Cameron Wildman cross to Tandy who finished with a diving header.

Biddestone then went down to 10 men after a second yellow card for Keenan Burnell and although they battled on bravely and still tested The Oak defence, they stood firm and finished the match as a contest when a mazy run from Brody Broom and a smart through ball put Daryl Nash through to the dizzy heights of the opposition box and he slotted past the keeper for 4-1